The London Borough of Camden is a North London borough (North London sub-region) forming part of Inner London, which itself is part of the Ceremonial County of Greater London. The borough was formed 1st April, 1965 by merging of the Metropolitan boroughs of Holborn, Hampstead, and St Pancras, which was part of the County of London. The borough's administrative headquarters are at the Town Hall, Judd Street and local postcodes include EC WC N & NW. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII took the land from Westminster and granted to the 1st Earl of Bedford, John Russell.
Camden Town forms part of the London Borough of Camden and gave its name to the borough. Camden Town was was originally part of the manor of Kentish Town and the parish of St Pancras in Middlesex. The town gained importance as the railway system developed and is also on a major network of canals. Camden Town is named after the 1st Earl Camden, Charles Pratt and is well known for its street markets and also Camden Lock on the Regent's Canal.
Covent Garden forms part of the London Borough of Camden and London Borough of Westminster and has a postcode of WC2. Covent Garden is famous for 'Covent Garden Piazza' (site of the former vegetable market) and also the opera house, which is simply known as 'Covent Garden'.
Holborn also forms part of the London Borough of Camden. The name 'Holborn' may have derived from The River Fleet, with 'hol' being Middle English for hollow and 'bourne' meaning brook. The area has been connected with the legal profession since the medieval period, being the location for the Inns of Court, including Lincoln's Inn, home to the popular wedding fair.
Also part of the London Borough of Camden is Bloomsbury, which lies between Holborn and Euston Road. The area of 'Bloomsbury' is mentioned in 1201, as 'Blemondisberi', which means the bury (or manor) of Blemond, when it was first acquired by the Norman William de Blemond. The area was developed in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries by the Russell family. Bloomsbury is well-known for its garden squares, which include Bedford Square, Russell Square and Bloomsbury Square. Churches in Bloomsbury include Church of Christ the King on Gordon Square, St. George's on Bloomsbury Way, and St Pancras New Church to the north, not far from Euston station.
Swiss Cottage is also part of the borough, and is centred on the junction of Finchley Road and Avenue Road. Historically, the area formed part of the ancient parish of Hampstead. The area is named after an inn built in 1804 at the junction of Finchley Road and Avenue Road, in the style of a Swiss chalet, called 'The Swiss Tavern'. At a later date the inn was renamed 'Swiss Cottage'. Swiss Cottage tube station opened in 1939. It is on the Jubilee Line between between Finchley Road and St John's Wood.
The name 'Hampstead' means 'homestead' and comes from the Anglo-Saxon words of 'ham' and 'stede'
The London Borough of Camden's Hampstead became part of London in 1889 and ten years later the Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead came into being. Some well known landmarks in Hampstead include Burgh House Museum (home ot a popular wedding fair), The Art Deco styled Isokon Building (home of Agatha Christie in the 1940's) and also Hampstead Heath, an area of parkland.